2010 Grilled Cheese Invitational Kama Sutra Division First Place Winner
2013 Big Bite Bacon Fest Grand Prize Winner
2014 Grilled Cheese Invitational Previous Winners Trophy
8 dinner roll sized hickory smoked bacon/asiago cheese ciabatta rolls
4 bone in chicken thighs with skin
16 pieces extra thick hardwood smoked bacon
1 lb. apple wood smoked bacon
½ lb. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
½ lb. crumbles bleu cheese
8 slices Sweet Munchee cheese
8oz. cremini mushrooms
1 large red onion
2 cups half and half
1 tbl. flour
2 sticks plus 1 tbl. salted butter
½ tsp. nutmeg
8 Bacon Wrapped Dates
8 Elvis Milkshakes
- On a foil lined baking sheet, rub chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake @ 425 for 1 hour or until juices run clear. Set aside to cool.
- In the same oven, place the bacon on a foil covered cookie sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning once 1/2 way through. When bacon is done, set on a paper towel to drain. Then cut each slice into 3 even pieces.
- Thinly slice the onions and mushrooms. Using ½ the rendered chicken fat, cook the onions over a medium low heat until they are caramel in color, but not burned or crunchy. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside
- Using the remaining chicken fat, cook the mushrooms over a medium heat until they are soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Set a large saucepan over medium heat and add flour and 2 tbl. butter. Cook for a few minutes until they combine and become a light amber color. Yay! You’ve made roux! Add the ½ and ½. Once the mixture comes up to temperature and begins to thicken, add the crumbled Gorgonzola and Bleu cheeses about a handful at a time. Stir constantly. Don’t add more until what you’ve already added is melted. Once the cheese is melted, add salt and pepper to taste. Add about ½ teaspoon of nutmeg. Turn off the heat and cover the pot.
- Remove the chicken skin and set aside (in your mouth. Come on, you know you want to. It’s the yummiest part of the bird). Shred the chicken with your hands and add to the cheese sauce.
- Slice the rolls very low. Then, with your fingers, remove most of the bread from inside the top of the roll. Inside the hollowed roll tops place 2 or 3 mushroom slices, about ¼ tsp. of onions, 1 piece of bacon, and a generous scoop of the chicken/gorgonzola sauce. Top with a slice of each of the remaining cheeses and put the bottom back on the sandwich. The top and bottom of the roll should meet.
- Over medium heat, melt 1 stick of butter in a pan and add ½ the sandwiches. Cover with a piece of foil and lay a cast iron skillet on top. When the bottoms of the sandwiches are browned, flip them and brown the other side. Repeat this process for the remaining sandwiches.
- Garnish with a bacon wrapped date, and serve with your favorite milkshake.
BACON WRAPPED DATES
16 roasted, salted almonds
4 slices brown sugar bacon
Put 2 salted roasted almonds inside a pitted date. Wrap ½ slice of brown sugar bacon around it and secure with a toothpick. Bake on a wire rack at 350 for about 10-15 minutes. Flip the dates and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
¾ cups creamy peanut butter
¾ cups half and half
¾ cups vanilla yogurt
4 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Torani Bacon Flavored Syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ lb. candied brown sugar bacon
Mix all the ingredients except the candied bacon together and put in an ice cream maker and let it get to soft serve consistency. Chop ½ lb. brown sugar bacon into a small dice. Sauté til crisp. Add 1 cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water to a saucepan and bring to 350 degrees. Stir in the bacon, then pour over a sieve that is set over a bowl. Lay bacon on a cookie sheet for 5 minutes to harden. Spoon a layer of candied bacon into a small glass. Spoon milkshake mixture into the glass just under 1/2 way up. Add another layer of candied bacon, another 1/2 glass of milkshake, and top with a final layer of candied bacon.